We will continue our walk around the Ministry of Defense to see the marks left from the military bombardment that in 1955 sought to overthrow President Juan Domingo Perón (and they weren’t successful). Then make your way towards the "Paseo de las Historietas", or the Cartoon Walk, and see some of the most famous national comic characters that illustrate a little more about the history of the country and give us clues as to some Argentine personality traits. On the way we will meet the porteño "dandy" - as the inhabitants of Buenos Aires are called - the football fan, the elegant and beautiful Argentine woman and the gaucho from the countryside until we arrive at Mafalda, a cartoon character who was a fervent critic of reality, and perhaps one of the most famous satirical comic strip characters in the world. It is no coincidence that there is a comic strip walk, since humor characterizes the Argentine personality, that kind of "Creole liveliness" which has gained them quite a reputation worldwide.
We find ourselves now at the entrance to San Telmo. Your guide will give you some background about this historic neighbourhood, and you will visit the "Minimal House" (the smallest house in Buenos Aires) on San Lorenzo passage. On then to the Defense Passage, an old aristocratic house transformed into a tenement for immigrants following the yellow fever epidemic that struck the neighborhood.
You will continue walking towards Parque Lezama, where we will stop for some mates and to eat some "facturas" (traditional pastry) that you will buy in a typical Argentine bakery. Relax in the park while your guide explains what "mate" is (our national drink), how it is prepared and some myths surrounding the drink that come from the culture of the countryside. Then you will return through Plaza Dorrego, the main square in the neighborhood, to enjoy the famous San Telmo Fair and its old covered market (dating from 1897), where you can buy both food and antiques. Immerse yourself in the typical weekend activities of Argentines.
Departure Time: To confirm with travelers.
Departure Point: Plaza de Mayo Square
:Tour option details are as follows
- Local guide
- Private tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
Change & Refund Policies
- Free cancellation at or before 00:01 at least 2 days before the date of use
- Cancellations made after 00:01 at least 2 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 100%
- Partial cancellation of this booking is not permitted
- If you need to change your booking, please cancel and rebook
- Trip.com only provides the booking service for this travel product. The specific cancellation policies are strictly in accordance with the supplier's standards. Please read carefully before booking
How to Use It
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Your voucher will be sent to your email after your booking is confirmed. Please check the usage instructions on your voucher for more info about how to use it
- Any traveler groups not mentioned in the booking options are not applicable for voucher use.
Adult: Age 0 to 80
Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
Not wheelchair accessible
Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
Children must be accompanied by an adult
May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate