Since Oltrarno derives its name from its position relative to the river, it makes sense to begin the tour from Ponte Vecchio. This is the last in a line of bridges that stretches back to Roman times and dates to 1345. It has resisted several disastrous floodwaters and supports one of Florence’s most impressive passageways, the so-called Vasari’s Corridor, commissioned by Cosimo I of the Medici in 1565 to allow his private passage from Palazzo Vecchio to Palazzo Pitti (his residence).
The first point of interest in Oltrarno is the Church of Santa Felicita, built close to a Christian cemetery, which is commemorated by a column in the middle of the square. The church is dedicated to St Felicity, a beautiful lady with seven sons, each of whom was executed in front of her for refusing to renounce her Christian faith. Then comes Palazzo Pitti, commissioned by the banker and merchant Luca Pitti in an effort to outdo his chief rivals, the Medici.
Sdrucciolo de' Pitti is the quintessential neighborhood street where you can still catch a glimpse of Florentine artisans plying the traditional trades of their forefathers. Via Maggio is another important street. It became popular in the 16th century, when the Medici family parades passed from here on the way to Palazzo Pitti. This is the reason why all the families living on the street decided to richly adorn the façades of their palaces. The Basilica di Santo Spirito brings to mind all the elegance of the Renaissance, while the Chiesa di Santa Maria del Carmine represents the playful Rococo style. The tour ends at Ponte alla Carraia, the second bridge crossing the Arno River and one that has been destroyed (and rebuilt) seven times!
To take this self-guided tour you will need the app on your iOS or Android device.
• Cross the bridge of Santa Trinita with the four ornamental statues of the Seasons that were added in 1608 as part of wedding celebrations.
• See the Fontana Dello Sprone, a fountain that consists of a grotesque bearded face with a waterspout protruding from its mouth.
• Visit the Palace of Bianca Cappello with the façade that stands out thanks to its unusual decoration of grotesque figures.
Departure Point: Ponte Vecchio, 50125 Firenze FI, Italy
Return Details: Ponte alla Carraia, Firenze FI, Italy
:Tour option details are as follows
Option Departure Time: 9:00 AM
Option Departure Time: 10:00 AM
Option Departure Time: 11:00 AM
Option Departure Time: 12:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 1:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 2:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 3:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 4:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 5:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 6:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 7:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 8:00 PM
Option Departure Time: 9:00 PM
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone in English and Italian
- Offline content with offline interactive map and signature stories
- Αctivation link to access your audio tour
- App not available for Windows phones
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Change & Refund Policies
- Free cancellation at or before 00:01 at least 2 days before the date of use
- Cancellations made after 00:01 at least 2 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 100%
- Partial cancellation of this booking is not permitted
How to Use It
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Your voucher will be sent to your email after your booking is confirmed. Please check the usage instructions on your voucher for more info about how to use it
- Any traveler groups not mentioned in the booking options are not applicable for voucher use.
Adult: Age 18 to 60
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not wheelchair accessible
Please note that this is an audio self-guided tour. No VR / AR is included, no physical guide will accompany you.
You must have an Android or iOS smartphone for this digital tour. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation. Please ensure you have enough storage space on your device (100-150 MB)
After booking, you will receive an email through Viator, from our local supplier, Clio Muse Tours with further instructions about your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
The tour is yours to use at any moment you wish according to your schedule and also repeat any time.
Usage of headphones is recommended, in order to best enjoy this multimedia (audio, photos & text) self-guided tour.
Book per device to be used, not per participant.
Near public transportation
Ensure your device is fully charged prior to your visit
Most travelers can participate
Non refundable once activated
This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
Face masks required for travelers in public areas
Social distancing enforced throughout experience
Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas