This cemetery has been set into a natural cave, right outside the walls of the Ancient Greek-Roman city, where the graveyard and the mass graves where located. These tufo caves had been used since the 1656 to collect the corpses of the victims of the plague. Two centuries later, the victims of another disease that spread all over the south Italy - cholera â€“ have been buried there. Only in the 1872 the structure of the cemetery was then organized and gates opened to the public.
Your guide will explain you in detail the traditional belief of the â€œanime pezzentelleâ€ and why Neapolitan people are so related to them â€“ not even mentioning the legends linked to some of the skulls kept into the cave!
You will then be led into the rione Sanitaâ€™, whose name comes from the Ancient belief that the area was rich of natural and supernatural salubritas. Set outside the walls of the polis, into the areas have been found many Greek ipogeos and paleo-Christian catacombs â€“ for instance, the well-known San Gaudioso ones. In the late XVII century, it was supposed to become one of the noblest neighbourhoods of Naples, but during the centuries it has then become more a popular district, where you can actually get in touch with the â€œreal Naplesâ€.
This journey off the beaten track of the historical centre will bring you to discover one of the most beautiful and hidden sides of the city.
Departure Time: 9:30 AM
Departure Point: You will meet your guide outside the Metro station "MATER DEI", on the Metro line 1.
Return Details: The tour will end close to piazza Cavour.
The guide will provide you all the info you need to return to you hotel/apartment/bnb.
Tour option details are as follows:
Option Departure Time: 9:30 AM
- Viator brokerage fees
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Private tour
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Change & Refund Policies
- Free cancellation at or before 00:01 at least 2 days before the date of use
- Cancellations made after 00:01 at least 2 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 100%
- Partial cancellation of this booking is not permitted
- If you need to change your booking, please cancel and rebook
- Trip.com only provides the booking service for this travel product. The specific cancellation policies are strictly in accordance with the supplier's standards. Please read carefully before booking
How to Use It
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Adult: Age 2 to 99
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Dress code is smart casual
Near public transportation
Infant seats available
Transportation is wheelchair accessible
No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate