The iconic image of Ha Long Bay's karst peaks jutting from the blue waters epitomises the unique and incredible beauty of Vietnam. The stunning scene has a mythical attractiveness which reflects its depiction in local folklore. According to the age-old tale, Ha Long Bay was created by the descent of a mother dragon that, along with her children, came to protect the bay against a fearsome invasion.
It is said that the dragons spat emeralds from their mouths towards their enemies and that those jewels transformed into the jewel like islands and islets. It is from this legend that the area takes the name Ha Long Bay which translates as “Bay of the Descending Dragons”.
Although the surroundings would lead you to believe this captivating tale, the bay and its fascinating rock formations were actually formed through millions of years of creation and erosion.
Over the course of time, the ocean has eaten into the limestone rocks, leaving behind the hundreds of islands, some of which are laced with elaborate cave systems.
Several thousand people still make their home on floating villages throughout the bay
Ha Long Bay was awarded the title of UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994, which has helped to protect the area. The best way to see this natural wonder is by taking a cruise around the bay, and there are a number of different options available to suit all time frames and budgets. Apart from the one-day tours, most trips involve at least one overnight stay on-board the boat, giving people the added bonus of seeing the sunset and sunrise over the sparkling waters.
Most tours also offer kayaking and visits to the magnificent caves, as well as visits to the floating villages scattered around the bay. Ha Long Bay also acts as a gateway to Cat Ba Island and the equally beautiful bays of Lan Ha and Bai Tu Long which sit on either side.
Although Ha Long Bay can be visited year round, the distinctive seasons in the north of Vietnam mean that the area has a very different atmosphere depending on when you choose to visit. Like most of Vietnam, the winter is cool and dry and the summer is hot and wet with occasional storms. Winter in Ha Long Bay lasts from November to April, often with a low-hanging mist shrouding the bay in a mysterious atmosphere.
The summer season lasts from May to October with high temperatures making it better for water-based activities such as swimming and kayaking. In the peak of summer, during August and September, the bay can experience typhoons which sometimes result in the cancellation of trips, so you may wish to consider this when planning your holiday.
7:45 – 8:30 am: Our tour guide will pick you up at the lobby of your hotel or provided addresses in the Old Quarter to start Halong Bay 1 day tour.
After 3-3.5 hours of driving, you will get to the Tuan Chau Habour.
On the way, you will enjoy the beauty of Vietnamese countryside scenery such as rice fields with busy farmers working, using Vietnamese traditional methods of cultivation. Then, you will have a short break half way of the drive.
12:00 – 12:30 pm: You will be welcomed on the Viet Dragon Cruise, the highlight of Halong bay day trip.
Lunch will be prepared and served to you on board by the crew.
While having lunch, the captain will drive the cruise around the most beautiful islets among thousands of limestone islands such as Dog islet, Incense Burner Islet, Fighting Cock Islet etc.
One stop of the 4-hour cruise is Dong Thien Cung (Heavenly Palace Cave), located on a remote island in the bay. As the name suggests, the cave is adorned with fantastic stalactites and stalagmites as well as colored lights, which transforms the scene into a fairytale palace.
Another activity of Halong Bay 1 day tour you could expect during the cruise is the stop at Ba Hang Area, where you could either join the bamboo boat ride or kayaking for 40 minutes to feel the Bay closer.
16:00 pm: Return to the harbor around and we will stop for one break in the middle of the way so you have a chance to go to the restroom or have a drink.
20:00 – 20:30 pm: Arrive in Hanoi city center, and you will be dropped off at your hotel. Finish the unforgettable Halong Bay full day Trip.
07.45 - 08:15: Our tour guide will pick you up at the lobby of your hotel or provided addresses in the Old Quarter to start Halong Bay 1 day tour with 01 short break on half way for about 20 minutes.
12:00: You will be welcomed on the Viet Dragon Cruise, check on the boat and enjoy Vietnamese set menu lunch while cruising through the amazing rocks: Incense burner, cock fighting...
13:30: Visit the biggest and the most beautiful cave of Ha Long bay – Amazing cave
14:45: Discover Luon cave (water cave) with some options:
- Kayaking or bamboo rowing boat
- Relaxing on the big boat if you prefer to have more free time by yourself
15:45: Visit Titov Island.
- Swimming on the beach
- Trekking up to Titov peak for taking photos with panoramic view of Ha Long bay
17:00: Tea break time on sundeck to enjoy sunset
17:30: Back to Ha Long harbor.
20:00 - 20:20: Arrival to Ha Noi Drop you off at your hotel (around old quarter). End of trip.
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel in Hanoi Old Quater with air condintioner bus.
- English speaking guide
- Vietnamese lunch on board & entrance fees
- Sunset party on board
- Kayaking at Luon Cave
- Boat Trip Cruise to visit caves, tunnel caves
- All taxes & services charge
- Beverage on board
- Personal expenses
- Tips and others not clearly mentioned above
- Any additional expenses caused by reasons beyond our control such as natural calamities (typhoon, floods), flight delays, rescheduling or cancellations, any accidents, medical evacuations, riots, strikes etc.
Change & Refund Policies
- Cancellations made at or before 00:00 at least 30 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 5%
- Cancellations made at or before 00:00 at least 21 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 10%
- Cancellations made at or before 00:00 at least 15 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 25%
- Cancellations made at or before 00:00 at least 7 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 50%
- Cancellations made after 00:00 at least 7 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 100%
- Partial cancellation of this booking is not permitted
How to Use It
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity
Validity & Info:
- Fixed Date Booking
- Childen from 9-16 age cannot book a separate tour without adult.
- 2 adults are included with 1 child 5 - under 9 years old, the second 5-9 years old child counted as an adult.
Pick Up Process:
- If you stay in hotels in Hanoi Old Quater, we will pick you up at hotel from 7:50 - 8:00 (4-hour cruise) or 8:10 - 8:30 (6-hour cruise)
- If you stay outside of Hanoi Old Quater (kindly check on maps), please arrive at Wati Travel Office, 91 Hang Ma Street, Hang Bo Ward Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi . Please check the map for assistance.
Adult: Age 9+
Child: Age 5 to 8
Infants: Age 0 to 4
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather.
- If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund